New York Civil Rights And Criminal Defense Lawyers

3 common types of construction injuries

On Behalf of | Thursday Jun 15, 2017 | Criminal Defense

Working in the construction industry carries a unique risk of injury. According to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, construction workers face a higher fatality rate than the national average. It is smart to be aware of the potential dangers of working on a construction site so you can avoid injuries.

The first step to safety is understanding common types of construction injuries and their causes. Here is a look at the most common accidents in the construction industry.

1. Falls

As a construction worker, you are familiar with the various heights at work, such as cranes, ladders, roofs and scaffolding. If you make one mistake, or your employer did not take the right safety measures, you could fall from heights and become seriously injured. Your employer should implement fall arrest systems, guardrails or safety nets to prevent injuries or deaths.

2. Explosions and fires

There are often hazardous conditions and materials at construction sites. Something as simple as a leaking pipe or a flammable chemical could cause a significant explosion. According to OSHA, employers must inform you of any hazardous chemicals, prepare a spill control plan and provide you with proper protective equipment to safeguard against dangerous events.

3. Trench collapse

If a trench collapses on you, you could suffer a significant injury. A building under construction or demolition may collapse unexpectedly. Make sure you never enter a trench that is unprotected. Your employer can provide sloping, shoring, shielding and an easy exit at every trench to make it safer for you.

Being in the construction industry is hard work. Not only is it physically grueling, but you also face various potential accidents if your employer does not implement safety equipment or train you. If you get injured at your construction site, make sure to consult a construction accident lawyer to protect your rights and pursue compensation. You may need to file a workers’ compensation claim or personal injury lawsuit.